Self Swab Specimen Collection
COVID-19 testing sites in the Coastal Health District use a “self swab” method of specimen collection.
Staff will provide instructions at the testing site and observe specimen collections to be sure they are done correctly.
Instructions for performing the self-administered nasal specimen collection
- Pull open the swab wrapper, grasping the sides at the end.
- Handle only the plastic end of the swab.
- Do NOT touch the soft end.
- Place the soft end of the swab midway in the nostril until you feel resistance.
- Slowly rotate the swab 5 times on the nasal wall.
- Insert the swab in the other nostril and repeat.
- Follow the guidance of on-site staff for proper and safe return of the swab.