COVID-19 Testing at the Savannah Civic Center
This page is for public health testing in Chatham County only. Click here for testing information in other counties.
No appointment is required for COVID-19 testing in Chatham County. For faster service, you may pre-register for a COVID-19 test. Once you are registered you can be tested any time the site is operational.
The registration website is designed for Google Chrome and Apple Safari. It includes features which will not function on Internet Explorer.
If you need assistance with pre-registration, call our COVID-19 Testing Call Center Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., and Friday from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. at 1-912-230-9744.
Drive-through COVID-19 testing is offered at the Savannah Civic Center at 301 West Oglethorpe Avenue in downtown Savannah.
- Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. or until site has reached daily capacity
- Saturday: 8:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Once your car is inside the Civic Center, staff members will confirm your pre-registration or register you for a test.
You will remain in your car, and a specimen will be collected using a mid-cavity nasal swab (not the more uncomfortable deep-nasal swab).
You will then exit through another cargo bay onto Liberty Street.
Test results are typically available in 48 hours, although the exact turnaround time depends on the processing capacity at the laboratory.
Please note: A mask or face covering is required inside all Coastal Health District health departments, COVID-19 specimen collection sites, and vaccination events.
Frequently Asked Questions about Testing at the Civic Center Site:
Do I have an actual appointment?
- No. Once you are pre-registered, you can go to the testing site any time it is open for your test. Just bring your booking ID with you, or take a screen shot of your QR code when you pre-register. Pre-registration is preferred but not required.
Will I have to pay for the test?
- No. You will not have to pay for a COVID-19 test through the health department. If you have health insurance, we will bill your insurance policy, but you will not receive a bill.
How is the test administered? Is it a deep swab? Self swab?
- The health professionals on site will collect the specimen for you, but it is not a deep nasal cavity swab. The swab only goes into the middle portion of your nostrils.
When will I get my results?
- This depends on demand at the laboratory, but you will usually receive results in approximately 48 hours.
How will I receive my results?
- After pre-registration, you’ll receive a booking confirmation with a link to the test results portal. This is the easiest and fastest way to get your test results. Sign up for an account at https://mako.luminatehealth.com/ using the same name and date-of-birth you used for registration. You’ll receive an email when your test results are ready, and you can log in to view the results. See an instructional video below: